|(Notice the new hairdo)|
I found a few online tutorials that said I could use duct tape to make a dress form.
I got some very funny looks from her 4 boys! I think they were jealous of my armor!
When the form was finished, I tried to follow another tutorial on how to make a stand for the dress form.
As with most problems converting US instructions into UK instructions product availability was my obstacle.
I ended up with what I thought were about the same products from my local hardware store. Dun, dun, dun!
When the stand kept falling over, I enlisted the help of my husband and his BA in Engineering degree to get this thing to stand upright so that I could go about filling it.
We ran wood rods down the middle pipe to give some stability and used left over pipes to reinforce it from the sides. I then fastened my stand onto a wooden deck tile to give the bottom some weight.
The plan was to fill the form with grocery bags and insulation foam, but my foam turn out not to be the magical expanding polymer I had remembered from organic chem lab in college. Therefore, Todd and I smushed many grocery bags (and some cotton I had laying around) into the form to fill it out.
I tend to have grand illusions of glorious results when is comes to my craft projects and they tend to turn out like this.
So, instead of a sleek standing duct taped body double I have a decent dress form on an imperfect stand for which I only ended up paying around £20.
Now all I need is some time to make some clothes!